Header part 2

making people healthy one person at a time

Tuesday, July 6, 2010


 
GLUTEN-FREE CORN-FREE SOY-FREE VEGAN BURRITO

Being a Celiac Vegan is hard enough, but avoiding corn and soy makes it a real challenge, at first. When I first went gluten and dairy-free, my whole diet had corn or soy in everything. Corn really made me sick and I thought it was just taking time to get my gut back in order from the gluten. When I dropped corn from my diet I really felt better and stopped breaking out and having stomach pains. After my thyroid malfunctions I gave up soy. If you don't eat meat, remember...beans are your friends.


I have two boys and one man to feed, so I cook in bulk. I double this recipe to make two meals to feed four.

1 cup black beans
1 cup mixed rice, I like the Lundberg's wild blend
1 cup diced peppers, I use what I have, I prefer pablonos, but red, green, or hot will do.
1 tablespoon tomato paste, Bionaturae is organic and corn-free
2 teaspoons cumin
1 teaspoon onion powder
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1 pinch of saffron if you have it on hand

8 Food for Life Rice Tortillas



First you want to get your beans ready, I never soak overnight because, if I do, something happens and I don't have time to cook my beans, so when I do cook them I rinse them, put them in a big pot with lots of water, bring to a boil, then let them sit for one hour. After an hour, I drain and rinse beans, rinse pot, then fill the pot back up, add beans, bring to a boil and then turn back down to simmer and cook for an hour and a half. You can always just use a can of already cooked beans. Eden Organics are  organic and BPA-free.
After your beans have cooked, in a separate pot add 2 cups of water, rice, tomato paste, cumin, onion powder, garlic powder, peppers, beans and saffron if you like. Bring to a boil and turn down to low and stir so your spices don't stick to the bottom. After 30 mintutes, stir and see how much liquid is left, usually cooks between 30 to 40 minutes.
If you buy your tortillas frozen, get them out and thaw about thirty minutes before you use them. If you buy them fresh and don't freeze them, you will need to steam them for 10 minutes so they will bend. Sometimes the frozen tortillas need to be steamed, and you can always just steam the frozen ones right out of the freezer. These will crack fast if they aren't pliable.
Preheat oven to 425 if you are baking these. I do.

Add the desired amount of your rice and bean mixture and you can add Daiya cheddar, guacamole, or hot sauce. Fold up and place on a baking sheet. If your rice tortillas are cracking, you can roll them up and they are just as good! Bake for 20 minutes on 425 for a crispy burrito or eat after you wrap it. I bake the kids burritos and I always bake if the beans and rice aren't fresh cooked. I roll up and freeze burritos day 3 because they are going bad after that. I bake a frozen burrito for 30 minutes on 425.


 











                                   

No comments:

Post a Comment

My Favorites