Header part 2

making people healthy one person at a time

Thursday, July 22, 2010

GLUTEN-FREE VEGAN EGGPLANT PARMESAN

I love the fresh eggplant I get from my friends at the Farmer's Market. After you eat a just picked eggplant you will never go back to the seedy bitter imported eggplant. I make many things with the eggplant I get over the summer. I make tons of these breaded eggplants and freeze them and they are my fast food over the winter. I used a Rosa Bianca eggplant in this recipe. You get huge thick slices.


1 eggplant cut into slices
1/2 cup Italian dressing
1 cup gluten-free breadcrumbs
1 tablespoon Italian seasonings

After slicing eggplant, sprinkle sea salt on it and lay on some paper towels. After 20 minutes or more press eggplant to get excess juices out. This will help the eggplant absorb the Italian dressing. Mix breadcrumbs with Italian seasonings and get a plate to press the eggplant into the crumbs to coat. Brush eggplant on both sides with dressing and press both sides into breadcrumbs. I spoon crumbs on top on my first press so my hands are pressing the crumbs in and not getting the dressing on my hands. Lay flat on a baking sheet covered with parchment. I use a Misto and spray olive oil on the parchment and then spray the eggplant after they are all breaded. Not too heavy.
Preheat your over to 450. Bake for 15 minutes. Sprinkle with some Daiya cheese and put back in the oven for 7- 10 minutes. If you are skipping the cheese, cook for 20 minutes. I used some gluten-free penne and a roasted red pepper sauce. This is my comfort food! Yummy! You don't have to make your own dressing or Italian seasonings, but I do because of food allergies. My bread crumbs are from my french bread recipe. You can use whatever gluten-free bread you like.

Italian seasoning recipe
1/2 tablespoon dried oregano
1/2 tablespoon dried basil
1/2 tablespoon dried parsley
1/2 tablespoon dried marjoram
1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder or fresh garlic

Italian dressing recipe
1/2 cup olive oil
1/4 cup red wine vinegar or apple cider vinegar
1 tablespoon Italian seasonings
1 tablespoon Dijon mustard, gluten-free of course
puree all ingredients



No comments:

Post a Comment

My Favorites