Header part 2

making people healthy one person at a time

Saturday, July 17, 2010

GLUTEN-FREE VEGAN FRENCH BREAD

I can't keep this bread in the house! Both of my boys love this bread, and my oldest yells at me when I make him wait for dinner to eat it. He's been known to steal it. Since he was the first in the house to give up gluten, this is the best thing since, well, sliced bread!

I use parchment paper, line a pan and lightly oil with olive oil.
1 cup brown rice flour
3/4 cup white rice flour
3/4 cup tapioca flour
1/2 cup garbanzo bean flour
1 tablespoon yeast
1 tablespoon agave nectar or sugar of choice
1 tablespoon olive oil
2 teaspoon xanthan gum
1 teaspoon sea salt
1 1/3 warm water (110-115 degrees)

Mix all flours, yeast, xanthan gum, and sea salt in mixer until well combined. Add warm water, olive oil, and agave, and mix well for 2 minutes. Fill your measuring cup with water to wet your hands so the dough doesn't stick to your hands. Rub oil on your hands first.  Shape your loaf and shellac it smooth with the water. I dome foil over my loaf so it doesn't touch it and it rises perfectly. Let rise for 40 minutes or more. I've gone 2 hours. The longer you let it rise the better. You can make one long loaf or 2 shorter. I double this recipe and make 2 long loaves and save one to make french bread crisps, croutons and breadcrumbs for breading.

Preheat oven to 400. Bake bread on middle rack for 40 minutes, depending on your oven, it could be 5 minutes more or less. The outside of the bread will be hard crusty.

I hide my second loaf and the next day when it is stale it will slice thin. I bake the slices on 400 for 10 to 12 minutes to use for bruschetta or baba ganoush. I puree the ends for breadcrumbs to use later. I freeze those, and sometimes freeze the slices before I bake them for a later date. I hope you enjoy this easy recipe! Gluten-free bread doesn't have to be hard!

No comments:

Post a Comment

My Favorites