Header part 2

making people healthy one person at a time

Sunday, December 12, 2010

Gluten-free Soy-free Vegan Hot and Sour Soup

We had the flu at my house over Thanksgiving. Due to an egg allergy, we can't get the flu shot. Just a couple weeks later, we have a cold and my 5 year old has pneumonia. Luckily for me, he likes hot stuff. The day before I make this soup I add leeks, bok choy, sea salt, and garlic to a crock-pot with 12 cups of water and let it cook all day, then I strain everything out and I have my clear veggie broth. You can use your own or a gluten-free store-bought broth. I use coconut aminos and mung bean fettuccine noodles to replace the soy. Native Harvest has BPA-free canned bamboo shoots. I also use Trader Joe's sweet chili dipping sauce. It's gluten-free and corn-free. It has tapioca in it and thickens the soup so I don't have to add a slurry.

Gluten-free Soy-free Vegan Hot and Sour Soup
4 cups of vegetable broth
2 cups water
1 package dried mixed mushrooms ( follow directions on package)
1/4 package organic mung bean fettuccine noodles
1 8oz. can bamboo shoots
1/4 cup coconut aminos
1/4 cup sweet chili sauce
4  Thai Bird chilis ( I like it hot, you may want to add 1 or 2)
1 teaspoon hot pepper flakes
1 teaspoon hot chili sesame oil
1/4 cup rice vinegar
2 tablespoons ume plum vinegar
Cilantro and scallions to garnish

Add all ingredients to a  pot and simmer for 30 minutes. I do break up the bean noodles so they are a little like the tofu you would get in the restaurant or take-out soup. 1/4 of the package is 20 grams of protein! At the end add both vinegars, you can omit the ume plum vinegar. Add to bowl and garnish with cilantro and scallions.

No comments:

Post a Comment

My Favorites